When an individual’s heart fails, it is substituted with a healthier heart. This process is known as a heart transplant. This procedure is kept for people whose heart condition hasn’t improved with medication or surgeries.
All of the best heart hospital in Delhi caters to heart transplant. Finding a donor with whom the characteristics match is significant.
With a heart transplant, the chances of a patient’s survival increase considerably. Several conditions lead to a heart transplant.
Causes of Heart Transplant
- Cardiomyopathy: This is a kind of heart muscle disease. In cardiomyopathy, the heart is enlarged and thickened to an abnormal extent. So, the heart muscle’s strength to pump blood reduces. This is the primary reason behind heart failure and the faulty storage of blood. Cardiomyopathy also causes strange heart rhythms. Hence, the transplantation of the heart in such cases is required. The three kinds of cardiomyopathy are:-
- Dilated Cardiomyopathy
- Restrictive Cardiomyopathy
- Ischemic Cardiomyopathy
The best heart hospital in Delhi treats people with cardiomyopathy.
- Coronary Heart Disease:It is also known as coronary artery disease. The coronary arteries bring blood rich in oxygen to the heart. When the plaque builds up in the coronary artery, this condition occurs.
The arteries are elastic and broad. When plaque builds on the artery walls, they become narrow and non-elastic. This ultimately reduces the blood flow to the muscles of the heart. The heart does not get the oxygen it needs, and a transplant becomes the only option available.
- Congenital Heart Defect:For some people, the heart and blood vessels do not grow at an average rate from birth. This phenomenon is known as a congenital heart defect. Around one per cent of infants have a congenital heart defect. It disrupts the normal flow of blood. Either a viral infection or a genetic condition is the reason. The best heart hospital in Delhi treats infants with congenital heart disease.
- Arrhythmias:In this condition, the heart does not beat in a rhythmic pattern. At times, it can only cause minor symptoms. But sometimes, it also leads to cardiac arrest and death. So, in advance cases, heart transplantation becomes necessary.
- Heart Attack:A heart attack occurs if one or more heart muscles does not get adequate oxygen. This mostly happens if blood flow to the muscle is blocked.
Risks of Heart Transplant
There are certain risks related to heart transplants. Just with any other surgery, complications can also happen. A few risks can occur after a heart transplant takes place.
Some of them are mentioned below:
- Breathing Problem
- The donor’s heart fails
- Blood clots which cause stroke, heart attack, and lung problems
- Kidney failure
- Coronary allograft vasculopathy
Proper advice and medication should be taken from health specialists. The best heart hospital in Delhi has excellent and reliable health specialists. The period before and after a heart transplant is also critical. A patient needs to take care of their diet and lifestyle.