Kaiser buns are the product of a hundred years back. Austrian people started to make the Kaiser bun, named after the name of Kaiser Franz Joseph, who was the emperor back in the day.
Kaiser rolls can be large or small. It depends on the ingredients and raw materials availability or the requirement of the people. Depending on their size, they can be used as soup rolls and sandwich rolls. Larger ones will be lighter and smaller ones will be crusty.
Their uniqueness depends on their shape. The shapes are in the form of flower patterns, star patterns, or other shapes. It depends on the requirements of the customers.
Ingredients That Are Required To Make Kaiser Buns
For the dough, the ingredients are white bread flour, yeast, egg, salt, softened butter, sugar, and cold milk. The quantity of each ingredient lies in the requirement of large or small bun volume. If your flour is weaker, you may need to lower the hydration. If you use active dry yeast, you may need to let it sit in the water for 10 minutes before adding the other ingredients.
Method To Make Kaiser Buns
There are some steps you have to follow while making the bun. The steps are given below:
- In a bowl, you must mix the ingredients of milk, sugar, butter, egg, salt, and yeast. Mix well to dissolve the salt and yeast and to hydrate the yeast. Add the flour and mix to the dough.
- Tip the dough out on the table and knead it for 5 minutes. The dough temperature should be 26C. It will ferment rapidly if your dough is warmer. If it is more relaxed, it will take longer. So, adjust the proofing accurately.
- Cover the ferment for about 45 minutes
- Then fold it.
- Ferment for another 45-60 minutes.
- Divide it into four equal pieces and then shape it in cylinder form. Leave it for 15 minutes
- Shape the Kaiser buns according to your desire of making it. You can shape like a flower and star pattern.
- Place it on a non-stick paper-lined tray with plenty of spaces between them.
- Cover and final proof for 1 hour. During this time, preheat your oven to 160 C fan on.
- Brush with milk, sprinkle with seeds and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remember that the conditions in each kitchen are different so the fermentation time may vary for you. It is up to the baker to control the bread and react accordingly.
- Your oven may be different, too, so your baking time may vary.
- Remove the buns from the baking sheet and cool them on a wire rack. They are delicious when served with a pat of butter and your favorite jam. They can also be used as sandwiches or harbinger buns.
How To Use The Kaiser Bun
Kaiser buns are perfect for sandwiches or to enjoy plain or toasted as a side for soup or stew. They make a good hamburger bun, too. They are delicious and hand-shaped, so they are very famous.
Tips and Tricks for Making Perfect Kaiser Buns
There are a few things to keep in mind when making perfect kaiser buns:
- Make sure the dough is well-kneaded – this will ensure that the buns are nice and fluffy.
- Be careful not to over-bake the buns – they should be golden brown, but not too dark.
- Allow the buns to cool completely before adding any toppings or filling – this will help them hold their shape.
- If using a stand mixer, make sure to slowly add the flour so that it doesn’t end up all over your counter!